Overview of Ultrasound: Uses, Risks, Limitations & Preparation
Also referred to as diagnostic medical sonography or sonography, diagnostic ultrasound uses waves to generate images of our body’s structures. Mostly, it is a non-invasive diagnostic method that provides valuable information for diagnosing and treating a variety of conditions and diseases.
As mentioned above it is mostly non-invasive, but few ultrasound examinations require placing an ultrasound device inside our body.
What is ultrasound used for? : Overview of Ultrasound: Uses, Risks, Limitations & Preparation
There are various reasons why our doctor might recommend an ultrasound test for us. Generally, an ultrasound is used for :
• To monitor the developing baby’s health during pregnancy by viewing uterus and ovaries
• To assess the flow of the blood
• To diagnose disease of the gallbladder.
• For guiding a needle for biopsy or tumor treatment
• For detecting genital and prostate problems
• To assess the metabolic disease of bone
• To check our thyroid glands
• For assessing Synovitis (Joint Inflammation)
What are the risks involved in ultrasound? : Overview of Ultrasound: Uses, Risks, Limitations & Preparation
There are no risks involved in ultrasound. It is a safe procedure that uses low-power sound waves.
Limitations of Ultrasound : Overview of Ultrasound: Uses, Risks, Limitations & Preparation
Undoubtedly, ultrasound is a very valuable diagnostic tool, yet it carries its limitations. Ultrasound isn’t very effective at imaging body parts that are hidden by bones or have gas in them because the sound doesn’t travel well through bone or air. In these cases, we might be recommended to have other imaging tests, like CT Scans, X-rays, or MRI Scans, by our doctor.
Preparation for Ultrasound : Overview of Ultrasound: Uses, Risks, Limitations & Preparation
Though most ultrasound exams don’t require very special preparations, exceptions are always there. Given below are a few exceptions :
• We may be asked to not eat or drink for a certain period before the ultrasound test, in some cases like an ultrasound of the gallbladder.
• Likewise, some scans, such as a pelvic ultrasound, might require us to have a full bladder before the ultrasound. We are instructed as to the amount of water we need to intake before the test.
• If the patient is a child, then some additional may be needed, and the guardians of the child should ask their doctors beforehand if they need to follow any particular instructions.
Clothing and personal belongings during an Ultrasound
We should wear loose clothing to our appointment for the ultrasound and if possible we should leave jewelry and other valuables back at our home, for we may be asked to remove jewelry during our ultrasound.
Looking for the latest technology, high qualified radiologists’ reported Ultrasound in North-east Delhi? Our compassionate highly qualified team of radiologists and assistants have a gentle, caring manner and a feeling of family care because we keep our all empathy and care in your pregnancy or one of your family member’s pregnancies.
Diagnostic Testing in North-east Delhi, Delhi.
We are a diagnostic centre and laboratory providing clinical solutions like CT Scan, Mammography, Digital X-ray, IVP, HSG, ECG–EEG, TMT, 4D & 5D Ultrasound, PFT, All types of Blood Tests, etc. We promise quality, we deliver it. Deep Medical Centre’s foremost focus has always been to maintain the highest standards in testing and hygiene, resulting in a high level of satisfaction of our more than twenty thousand patrons and being the fastest growing laboratory in Northeast Delhi.
Our compassionate highly qualified team of radiologists and assistants have a gentle, caring manner and a feeling of family care because we keep our all empathy with not-so-good times that you or your family member may be going through, to require a diagnostic test.
If you have any questions about our imaging services, call Deep Medical Centre at (+91) 931-166-1446 / drop an email at email@example.com / just click here to open the map to our physical location or request an appointment now. We wish you and your family a very healthy smiling time.