Before discussing “MRI Scan Vs CT Scan for Brain”, let’s first understand a bit about why is brain a special topic. Only its unique vulnerability is greater than the complexity of the organ that governs how a person thinks, moves, feels and remembers. The skull covers the brain from direct view, protecting it from harm and obstructing research into how it functions in both health and disease.
The normal chemistry of the brain is invisible to routine laboratory blood tests that are frequently used to evaluate the heart, liver, or kidneys because the cells in the arteries that supply the brain are so tightly bound that even the majority of normal bloodstream cells are prevented from crossing the so-called “blood-brain barrier.”
MRI Scan vs CT scan for Brain
The ability to examine the brain noninvasively, thanks to computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) has transformed the study of the brain. With the aid of these diagnostic imaging techniques, doctors may now determine the causes of abnormal function brought on by various disorders without invasively examining the brain.
The objective of the examination is the determining factor as to which imaging modality is a better option to image our brain. Both CT scans and MRI Scans are complementary procedures, and each has advantages and disadvantages of its own.
Which examination is best depends on a number of factors, including how quickly the scan must be obtained, the area of the head being evaluated, the patient’s age, and others. All imaging procedures that are not done for research purposes should be obtained after careful discussion with a doctor. Both approaches are intended to look at particular issues. The value of performing a “screening” CT or MRI on a healthy patient who is asymptomatic to check for a brain tumor or any other problem has not been proven.
The advantages of each modality listed below serve as general guidelines that doctors use to decide between head CT and MRI:
Benefits of a Head CT: MRI Scan vs CT scan for Brain
- CT is the preferred investigation in cases of trauma and other urgent neurological problems since it is significantly faster than MRI.
- A CT scan can be done for a lot less money than an MRI and is sufficient to rule out many neurological conditions.
- When a patient is moving during an examination, CT is less sensitive. since it is quick to perform imaging
- In patients who are claustrophobic or very heavy, CT may be simpler to perform.
- Cortical bone is evaluated in-depth by CT.
- Calcification and metal foreign bodies can be precisely identified through a CT scan.
- With implantable medical devices like cardiac pacemakers, ferromagnetic vascular clips, and nerve stimulators, CT can be done without putting the patient in danger.
Benefits of head MRI: MRI Scan vs CT scan for Brain
- In children and patients who need numerous imaging tests, MRI is favored over CT because it doesn’t use ionizing radiation.
- In addition to showing anatomy in greater detail and being more sensitive and specific for abnormalities within the brain itself, MRI includes a far wider choice of soft tissue contrast options.
- Without moving the patient, MRI scanning can be carried out in any imaging plane.
- There is a significantly lower chance of a potentially fatal allergic reaction with MRI contrast agents.
- Using MRI, features that might be hidden by bone artifacts on CT images can be evaluated.
Read Next: Differentiating CT Scans and MRI Scans
Looking for low dose, latest technology, highly qualified radiologists’ reported MRI Scan or CT Scan in North-east Delhi? Our compassionate highly qualified team of radiologists and assistants have a gentle, caring manner and a feeling of family care because we keep our all empathy with not-so-good times that you or your family member may be going through, to require a diagnostic test.
Diagnostic Testing in North-east Delhi, Delhi.
We are a diagnostic centre and laboratory providing clinical solutions like CT Scans, Mammography, Digital X-ray, IVP, HSG, ECG–EEG, TMT, 4D & 5D Ultrasound, PFT, All types of Blood Tests, etc. We promise quality, we deliver it. Deep Medical Centre’s foremost focus has always been to maintain the highest standards in testing and hygiene, resulting in a high level of satisfaction among our more than twenty thousand patrons and being the fastest-growing laboratory in Northeast Delhi.
Our compassionate highly qualified team of radiologists and assistants have a gentle, caring manner and a feeling of family care because we keep our all empathy with not-so-good times that you or your family member may be going through, to require a diagnostic test.
If you have any questions about our imaging services, call Deep Medical Centre at (+91) 931-166-1446 / drop an email at email@example.com / just click here to open the map to our physical location or request an appointment now. We wish you and your family a very healthy smiling time.